Thursday, November 20, 2008

Winter...

I truly am looking forward to winter. I love the snow, the cold, (not so much the wind chill - just that wonderful cold), taking the boys ice skating (although I am told we are building our own rink), going sledding, building snow forts, having snow ball fights, quality family time by the moon light and this year Silly Pants will be trying skiing.

The last two years we have had the most fun after dinner when its dark, the moon is up, the sky is clear and the moonlight is hitting the snow beautifully - almost as if it is daytime, we can see everything and the glow off the snow is so breath taking! We go out all bundled up and dig, shovel, push, form, mound, throw, toss, sculpt, create, bury, roll & have a wonderful time!

We will build snow men - most likely the whole family this year! I will have to remind the boys to keep their hats, mittens, scarves & coats on. Husband will have to save one - if not both - from a face first in the snow, some how it won't bother them - they will just brush off the snow and eat it. There will be snow angels to make and pictures to take. We (husband & I) will stay out until our bottoms start feeling numb and then have to convince the boys that it is time to go in and that we will be back out another night. The thing that will get them moving the fastest is hot chocolate - with a LOT of marshmallows. We will go in - trudging snow with us - peeling off the snow boots, mittens, hats, scarves, jackets, & snow pants - have to catch a sneaky sock that managed to stay in a boot - and grab our hot chocolate. (Mommy always remembers to put on the kettle with hot water before we go out - then it is ready when we return) The boys will take a handful of marshmallows - only a few will make it to the cup. They will huddle around it as if it were their own personal fire to warm by. Depending on how long they convince us to stay out we may throw a board game on the table (my guess this years game of choice will be Sequence for Kids) That will be our night - and with all hopes we will have many nights like that this year....

This to me is the best season - it allows for memories that can never be had in any other season. Yes, to some the weather is too cold, the snow is a nuisance & the days are too short. For me the cold allows for bundling & cuddling, the snow gives way to an endless imagination, with so many creative thoughts & although the days are short, the moon and it's light is given a beautiful canvas in which to paint amazing pictures.

To me this is probably the number one reason I love Minnesota. This year I plan on taking an obscene amount of pictures - if only to capture that one that will define the season for us this year...

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Although very beautiful and poetic writing, get a grip!!! Its winter in Minnesota??? Hello??? Its already flippin cold out, everything is brown, my flowers are gone and you are writing poetry about winter?? You need serious help!! Take all the pictures u want of these cloudy days as for me, I am flying south!

Jennifer said...

Your funny!!

DeAnna said...

I agree with Nonny, Hey Nonny bring some sunshine back with you, K?

Although you did make winter sound really amazing, If only I didn't know the truth!!lol

love you

Jennifer said...

Are you saying I am lying? I thinkt he problem is your guys are becoming old? Maybe your bodies just don't tolerate the cold as well....lol!!! I crack me up!

Tammy said...

Glad someone can crack you up!!!

Jennifer said...

Me too!!

DeAnna said...

I would comment on your comment, but my fingers are hurting from the arthritis in my hands. (Probably due to old age?)