Friday, September 19, 2008

What's in a name....

Ok at the beginning of our lives our parents give us a name...maybe it's a good one, maybe a not so good one...either way it's ours. So looking past that first name we are given, many of us have other names we are called.

I went from being Jennifer at birth to TB, Mouth from the South, Brown Penny Jenny, Mouth - and those are just from when I was little & ones I can remember. Just in those names you can see what my personality was (and probably still is) like.

After that the next one I remember is one I will have my whole life - Sissy. My brother was the first to call me that (or maybe my parents used it and he took it - either way) I think this one holds the most sentiment from growing up. That was a name that was not used in anger, it was always in love (or maybe just like) but it was from my brother to me. Eventually BF would call me it more and then Prits same along and she would use it as well. But there is something there whenever Brother says it, it's almost like a silly way of him saying I love you or just showing he cares...because he doesn't always call me this now - He does use my really name too but when he says Sissy I think I would probably do just about anything for him.

We move on to the next one - Wife (never in a negative way but in a loving & respectful way) & sweetheart. the second of these two still give me butterflies when I hear it. They just remind me of so many good things. Wife is one I take great pride in, I am his wife, I married him and I will be with him as long as we both live. We are in this life together and all that is wrapped up in - Wife.

After that one comes - Mommy, Mama, Mom- these ones always put smiles on my face - especially Mommy. When I hear any of my boys say it - it reminds me of the unconditional love I have for them and the wonder they bring into my life. If I had to hear one name for the rest of my life it would be this one.

Now we come back to one I have had for a while....Sissy. It has gotten a new sweet spot in my heart recently due to the addition of SIL. She has adopted this name for me. And I think it makes me love her more than before. It shows her love for our family and for me ( I guess??) That she is in it for the long hall - and well seems to be ready for the ride! I am glad for this and it brings a smile to my face. =)

now as you can imagine there are names that maybe are a bit unorthodox and slightly inappropriate...but they have there place. I will list them all at once and briefly touch on them to give a quick understanding....Skank, slut, hoe, tramp, B$&*% and whore. Now these names may seem harsh and inappropriate but let me tell you they are not! (when used the right way) We use these as a way to give emphasis to something that we find serious but yet funny - they tend to be used in a sarcastic manner in which is found funny and comical, not offensive and mean. To use any of these names in a mean way would be horrifying and unacceptable. These are in fun!

So as you can see we have many names (these just being mine) and I urge you to think about the many names you have and the meaning behind them......

3 comments:

Tammy said...

awwwwwwwww, that was really sweet, skank!! You have a gift for writing? Where did that come from? I happen to agree with all you wrote! That is really sweet that kelsey calls you sissy. There really is no turning back for her anymore is there?!

Jennifer said...

nope!! Not a chance =)

KJ said...

of course there isn't a chance! :)