Saturday, September 27, 2008

Exercise ???

Tonight I find myself wondering...being that I have 3 young boys & I stay home with them - why? Oh why?? - do I still need to do a scheduled exercise routine to try to lose (or maintain for that matter!!!) weight??? I mean I chase, run, walk, crawl, tumble, carry & drag 3 young boys around ALL the time - so with that why is it so difficult to maintain or lose the weight?

you may ask - what are you eating?? That's a great question!!! Over all I am a pretty nutritious eater - I love whole grains, wheat, fresh fruit & veggies, milk - I prefer those foods over all - not saying of course that I don't love many of the other foods out there.
Anyway back on track...
My normal day of food includes the following....
Breakfast - either a bowl of cereal (honey bunches of oats, Cheerios, not a treat cereal), eggs & toast or pancakes.
Snack - carrots w/ dip, snow peas w/ dip (a new fave!) or a hand full of gold fish.
Lunch - usually a sandwich (PB&J) that's what the boys prefer, or organic mac & cheese (that's a usual meal - we do other things but those are the boys favs) w/ pretzels, milk
Snack - varies I may have a fruit leather with the boys or I may have nothing..I also will admit I once and a while indulge in a dark chocolate Milano....ummmm.......milano......
Dinner - usually a typical family dinner, a protein, veggie, bread or pasta (sometimes both...) milk.
Sometimes but not always by any means Husband & I may have a sweet after the boys go down - but that is maybe 2x a week.

Ok so that's an average day for food....

So I joined LA Fitness - Health Partners gives me back $20 a month as long as I go 12x a month. That is pretty easy to do right? No, not always. I have a regular routine where I go Mon, Wed, Fri. I leave after all the boys are down and work out for anywhere from 25 minutes - 1 hour + a little time in the sauna...very nice....
The trouble I am finding is that lately (more than before) I am so exhausted I don't have the energy to start the truck let alone go to the club. Yes, I would love it more if I could go during the day - but that is just no an option for me...Yes, it would be great to have someone near by that would hold me accountable - in the sense where we both go together and keep the motivation going - but that just isn't possible.

So that leaves me going - not always getting all that I should out of it - being exhausted, staying at a weight I am not happy with & wondering again how this is all possible when I am constantly on the move with my wonderful boys????

Is there no justice?????

2 comments:

KJ said...

unfortunately, caring for the boys is referred to as "Daily Living Activities" and that doesn't count as exercise. UNFORTUNATELY. Your body burns 1 cal/min just sitting there, living, 4-5 cal/min walking at around 4 mph, and 12-14 cal/min running. Thus, the best way to try to lose weight is cut portions and run (or elliptical, although you would have to approach it the same was as running). There are 3500 calories in one pound of fat (discouraging, I know) so you have to make sure you have a calorie deficit at the end of the day in order to lose weight. Maintaining weight is when you break even at the end of the day. So..losing weight is no fun and one must not consume calorated drinks (pop, coffee, juice), sweets AND reduce portion sizes to lose weight. Eventually your stomach will shrink and thinking of what you used to eat will make you sick.

The majority of this I learned at school friday..haha at least we know my 40,000 dollars per year is going to something!

Tammy said...

KJ.. What are you a nutritionist?
At least the money is going to good use.