Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gerber...not that Grrreat!

Alright - a rant - a frustration - an angering situation - what should I call it?

So BF is watching the boys on Friday night - while I was waiting for Husband to finish what he was doing I was talking to her and feeding Mini C some Gerber Graduates puff things. So she asks if I knew where they are made? Good question right? I mean with all the scares from China and the tainted this and the contaminated that seriously when will it stop? (or when will we stop excepting things from this horrid place) (another issue for another time)
So I call the number on the container to ask - Amanda a very nice lady answered - I asked her where the the Gerber FOOD items grown and packaged? She tells me that ALL of the Gerber food is grown here - with exception to banana's which are grown in Costa Rica (I think I can live with that) and they are all processed in the good 'ol US of A. GREAT!! Thank you Amanda for the info I am so happy to hear that! Good bye!

So I hang up and tell BF the good news....but wait - she asks - "where are the containers made?" Excellent question - why didn't I think to ask that??? Because I was so happy about the food being USA!!
So I call back and get Amanda again (What are the chances!!) Amanda where are the containers - specifically the plastic ones made? Puts me on hold....music...pause....music...Jennifer?? yes?
I am sorry to tell you right now it says that that is proprietary information - can i get your info and call you back Monday when the appropriate people get in and can give me an answer - the computer is just saying it's proprietary. Ok! I can do that thanks...she takes my info and off with me night....

Monday comes....get a call....is this Jennifer?? yes....Jennifer this is Amanda from Gerber I am just calling you back about your question...Yes?? I am very sorry to tell you but they are telling me that it is proprietary information and will not release it. Seriously Amanda? They won't release it? Yes Jennifer I am sorry. Thank you Amanda for looking into it for me - I am sorry to say that I will no longer be using ANY of the Gerber products. I'm sorry to hear that Jennifer but I can understand...thank you thank you Goodbye.........

Are you FREAKING kidding me?? So I am sorry but if they are not releasing the info doesn't that seem a little fishy? A little weird??? Is that pretty much saying "WE PRODUCE THEM IN CHINA!!!"??? So as of now - I will no longer be buying any of their products.....sucky because we liked using the Graduate things....so I will look for another brand...and you bet I will be calling those companies to find out the same info.......

Until then - I will continue to MAKE all of Mini C's baby food (just as I did with Silly Pants & Monkey) and I will just stick to Cheerios's and Kix for the little finger snacks...for now........

3 comments:

Steve said...

I recommend checking out the new line of Beech-Nut Let's Grow! foods for toddlers. Take a look at www.beechnut.com/letsgrow/. All of the packages you see at shelf are made in the U.S. All of the food is made in the U.S. as well.

Best regards,
Steve Hungsberg
Associate Director of Marketing
Beech-Nut

Jennifer said...

Thanks Steve! I am so glad to hear that - I will be heading over to Toys R Us tomorrow to pick up some of the things! It is so wonderful to know that it is all from the USA!! Thank You Thank You...=)

Tammy said...

Wow! Smart Mommy you have!