Thursday, October 30, 2008

If I get to decide...

If I get to decide - you will either be cremated or if not you will NOT have an open casket. After witnessing my first wake - and what will be my first funeral today - I don't understand why anyone would want a wake or an open casket.

I do not want my last memory of you as - what I thought looked like - a waxed version of a person. Your soul will be with our heavenly Father - what is left is - as a friend said - a shell. Yes, I know this sounds heartless and cruel (let it be known I would never say this to ANYONE going through the loss of a loved one - it is just how I feel)

As we were at the wake, it seemed to me that all that happened was that people came and went, had what was casual conversation while there was a casket in the room. Why can't we just remember the person and give our condolences to the loved ones of the person that passed at the funeral? Why must we stand in a room and stare at what is left behind when we go to be with our Maker?

Let it be known that I am in agreement with BF (& from what I hear Brother as well) that I want to be cremated. I don't know if there is anythign in the bible about cremation (I will check with the Wise Man on it just to be certain) but I would think being that this is not our perfect body and it is only temporary that there would be no reason we could not be cremated.

That is that....

2 comments:

Francine said...

I completely understand how you feel and am sorry your family's loss. I really hate it when people (mostly old people) go up to the open casket and say things like "he/she looks good." I want to scream NO THEY DON'T, they look dead. It is a rather mordid practice of our culture to display the deceased. I was at a funeral where the person was cremated and they had a beautiful photograph of the woman from a good time in her life on display behind the urn. That is how I want to be remembered, smiling and enjoying life. Sorry my comment got so long but I support you!

Tammy said...

I want what "MOC" said! An urn with a picture. Well maybe just the urn. I actually want a "Life celebration & a going home event!"
(I will blog that tomorrow for written document) Still praying for peace for the "big boy"!